BOONE, N.C. — In spring 2018, the outstanding leadership and achievements of numerous Appalachian State University students, student organizations and advisors were recognized through Appalachian’s Student Organization Leadership Awards (SOLA).
The annual SOLA ceremony is hosted by the Office of Campus Activities and the university’s Club Council, which are part of Appalachian’s Division of Student Affairs. Students and advisors at Appalachian nominate organizations and individuals to win a variety of awards.
A total of 24 Appalachian Community members and organizations were recognized at the 2017–18 SOLA ceremony on Appalachian’s campus.
Student organization SOLA winners
- Alpha Epsilon Pi — Best New Student Organization Award
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. — Outside the Box Award
- Appalachian State University Cycling Team — Appalachian Image Award
- Appalachian Student Ambassadors — Outstanding Department Affiliated Organization Award
- Association of Student Entrepreneurs for Beans2Brew — Student Organization of the Year
- Beta Alpha Psi — Membership Development Award
- Delight at Appalachian — Outstanding Religious/Spiritual Organization Award
- Future Healthcare Executives — Leaders in Action Award
- Geographical Society — Outstanding Academic Organization Award
- International Appalachian (INTAPP) — Collaboration Award and Outstanding Multicultural Organization Award
- Melanin in Medicine — Community Impact Award
- Phi Chi Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Society — Outstanding Educational Program
- Recreation Management Association — Outstanding Special Interest Organization Award
- Rho Chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma — Appalachian Image Award
- Walker Fellows — Outstanding Service Organization Award
Student SOLA winners
- Murilo Artese — Outstanding Presidential Award
- Rachael Beller — Commitment to Justice Award
- Ana Dell — Outstanding Achievement Award
- Jackie Huckert ’18 — Rising Star Award
- Maggie King — Outstanding Presidential Award
- Kirby Rose — Spirit of Service Award
- Paige Schurter ’18 — Unsung Champion Award
Advisor SOLA winners
- Jerry Cherry — Outstanding Advisor Award – Department Affiliated Organization
- Traci Royster — Outstanding Advisor Award
More about the 2017–18 SOLA and award recipients
Alpha Epsilon Pi Mu Theta
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
Appalachian State University Cycling Team and
Rho Chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma
International Appalachian (INTAPP)
Melanin in Medicine
Phi Chi Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Society
Beta Alpha Psi (BAP)
Future Healthcare Executives
Outstanding Organization Award
The Outstanding Organization awards recognize six organizations at Appalachian that have exemplified outstanding achievements and organizational development among their peer organizations. Groups are eligible to apply for only one of the following categories: academic, multicultural, religious/spiritual, service, special interest, and department affiliated organizations.
The Geographical Society
Delight Ministry at Appalachian
International Appalachian (INTAPP)
Recreation Management Association
Appalachian Student Ambassadors
Association of Student Entrepreneurs for Beans2Brew
Paige Schurter ’18
Jackie Huckert ’18
Murilo Artese and Maggie King
Traci Royster and Jerry Cherry
About Club Council at Appalachian
Appalachian State University has over 400 clubs and organizations created by and for students. Facilitating that process is the university’s Club Council, which serves as the advisory board for these clubs and organizations. The council comprises 30 undergraduate members, a faculty advisory and a graduate assistant, and is responsible for making recommendations on policies and programs for student organizations, as well as reviewing funding requests and petitions by students interested in forming new student organizations. The council also assists with club development workshops and opportunities to create stronger clubs and organizations on the campus of Appalachian. Learn more at https://clubcouncil.appstate.edu.
About the Division of Student Affairs
The Division of Student Affairs at Appalachian State University is committed to the development of lifelong learners and leaders by engaging and challenging students within a culture of care and inclusion. The division consists of 16 units that offer activities and services to help students develop more fully by becoming global learners, fostering healthy relationships, appreciating diversity and different perspectives, understanding community responsibility, enhancing self-awareness, developing autonomy and living ethically. These units include the Career Development Center, Campus Activities, Office of Community-Engaged Leadership, Wellness and Prevention Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health Service, Parent and Family Services, University Housing, Student Conduct, University Recreation, Intercultural Student Affairs, Student Legal Clinic and Off-Campus Student Services, Electronic Student Services, Child Development Center, and Staff Development and Strategic Initiatives. Learn more at https://studentaffairs.appstate.edu.
About Appalachian State University
As the premier public undergraduate institution in the Southeast, Appalachian State University prepares students to lead purposeful lives. App State is one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina System, with a national reputation for innovative teaching and opening access to a high-quality, affordable education for all. The university enrolls more than 21,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and 80 graduate majors at its Boone and Hickory campuses and through App State Online. Learn more at https://www.appstate.edu.
What do you think?
Share your feedback on this story.